Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: Quantic & Alice Russell With The Combo Barbaro - Look Around The Corner (2012)


DJ extraordinaire Quantic has teamed up with chanteuse Alice Russell on a fantastic release that blends touches of latin jazz, bolero, funk, boogaloo, doo-wop and motown into a delicious blend of hard-charging soul music. Apparently he's been spending quite a bit of time down in Colombia exploring the style known as Cumbia which accounts for the heavy latin flair. I've been listening to this release quite a bit since it found its way onto my playlist and the standout track, so far, is clearly the Latin/Motown/Soul song I'll Keep A Light In My Window. This song could be an anthem and rallying cry for the socially-minded among us. Take a listen:
Quantic & Alice Russell  - I'll Keep A Light In My Window


Songs featuring Alice Russell are interspersed throughout with the straight-up instrumentals that are Quantic's bread and butter. My favorites so far have been the vocal tracks, but that's not to say the instrumentals aren't up to his usual standards. Check out Una Tarde En Mariquita as a great example of the cumbia style.
Quantic & Alice Russell - Una Tarde En Mariquita


The huge breadth of musical styles and genres that are integrated seamlessly on this album is really impressive. Check out Su Suzy which leads off in sincere Latin Jazz but then swings wildly into doo-wop when the vocals come in. Craziness.
Quanti & Alice Russell - Su Suzy



Boogaloo 33 is a danceable motown/boogaloo number, complete with hammond organ and a horn section.
Quantic & Alice Russell - Boogaloo 33


It's really a great album, all around, and is highly recommended. I'll close with a mini-documentary performance of I'll Keep A Light In My Window. Skip to 1:20 if you don't want your illusions about Alice Russell's speaking voice shattered.



Available now on TRU THOUGHTS records. Buy it here.

For fans of: Quantic, Bajka, Alabama Shakes, Thievery Corporation

No comments: