Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Best Songs of 2010 - Part 1 of 3

In 2005 at the end of the year, I made a CD for the friends that I left behind when I moved across the country to Philadelphia. It was a CD of all the music from the past year that I thought deserved their attention. It was a way for me to keep in touch and it served in lieu of a Christmas card. The response was very positive and it thus became a year-end tradition for me to make a "Best of" CD for all of my friends and family. The CDs quickly expanded to 2 volumes. I attempted to separate the songs by musical genres and shaped them to different listener's tastes. The first CD was more mellow and mainstream, the second more indie and challenging. Some friends or family members got just one, others got both, depending on their listening habits or tastes.

I also designed labels with the songs and artists listed on them and printed them on printable CDs to make them look polished and nice.

This year the CDs have expanded to 3 volumes and I'm making them available here, including labels and, a first, artwork for itunes.

Please keep in mind that these are made to be burned on to a single 80 minute CD so I was somewhat limited by the medium. Some songs that I may have liked to include had I unlimited time did not make the cut. I have also attempted, whenever possible, to make the songs fit thematically and flow from one song to the next. They are meant to be heard in the order listed and do not represent a ranking, merely what I found to fit together well.

Best of 2010 - Volume 1

1. When We Fall In - Sean Hayes
Sean Hayes defies categorization, but I often describe this song as Folk-soul. He can bounce from blue-eyed soul to full-on folk to out and out rock & roll. A great opening track.

2. Like Rock & Roll & Radio - Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs
I've always wanted a voice like Ray LaMontagne. I read a story once that when he first started singing he thought he sounded terrible and he took many years to train his voice to what it is now. My girlfriend and I saw him live over the summer and it was interesting that his speaking voice was very different from his singing voice. I wonder if they will grow further and further apart. Like Rock & Roll & Radio.

3. Lark - Josh Ritter
This song was added to my itunes playlist with a 5 star rating somehow already attached. It sounds like Paul Simon circa Rhythm of The Saints. A lighthearted and bouncy tune.

4. Sounds Like Hallelujah - The Head & The Heart
From the acoustic strumming to the violins and "ooh-oohs", the tempo change-ups and sparing piano plinks this song runs quite the gamut. The Head & The Heart are newcomers to the list but have a great album this year. Many songs nearly made the cut but this one was the standout for me.

5. Better Things To Do - Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
An empowering breakup song from the reigning queen of soul. Cut from the same cloth as Cee-Lo's "Fuck You" but much classier.

6. Swim Until You Can't See Land - Frightened Rabbit
An urging to let go of the past and move on. Are you a man, are you a bag of sand?

7. You Are Not Alone - Mavis Staples & Jeff Tweedy
A sublime paring of the R&B and Gospel singer and Wilco frontman on this traditional cover. I love the sentiment that no matter how alone you feel there are those that are there for you even though you may resist it. Open up, this is a raid. Truly inspirational and comforting.

8. The Ladder - Andrew Belle
Possibly the pop-iest offering on this year's CD. This song was stuck in my head for the good part of the summer. I have no idea what it's meant to be about but it fit rather well in my situation at the time. A long distance relationship can often feel like a right at the wrong time.

9. Never Give You Up - The Black Keys
The Black Keys border on stalker territory with this slow burn.

10. I Really Need Love - The Bees
Featured on Fretboard Review previously. A throwback to the 60's sound with a sentiment we can all agree with.

11. I Can See Your Tracks - Laura Veirs
Oh, I can see your tracks/But I won't follow them/I'll just hope it rains. Like the Frightened Rabbit song above, a song about moving on without regrets.

12. Green Lights - Aloe Blacc
Another Soul song from a newcomer to the list, Aloe Blacc. A Velvet Underground cover with backing from The Expressions. A great song to drive to.

13. The Sound Of Sunshine - Michael Franti
Michael Franti has progressed from Militant Reggae to what sounds like beach party music. Who would have thought?

14. I Was Made For Sunny Days - The Weepies
Another poppy tune that got stuck in my head for weeks.

15. The Curse - Josh Ritter
I placed this song on my list even before I paid attention to the lyrics. A beautiful waltz about the love between an archeologist and the mummy she excavates. A beautifully told story.

16. Compass (Red Dead On Arrival Version) - Jamie Lidell
This song is used to wonderful effect at the emotional zenith of the exceptional game, Red Dead Redemption.

17. The Sharpest Crown - Joe Pug
Arresting guitar work and lyrics. Who doesn't know a girl like this?

18. King Of Spain - The Tallest Man On Earth
A song about trying to be impressive.

19. Christ Jesus - Deer Tick
Hard to believe these are the same guys who brought us "Holy Shit, It's Christmas!". An emotionally cathartic song.

20. Long December - John Craigie
A Counting Crows song from his Free EP of 90's cover songs. Slowed down and acoustic, sounds like it should have been done this way from the beginning.
Download all Songs and Artwork in one ZIP File.
Cover:
Artwork:

No comments: