Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Lissie

So I got a new iPad after resisting for quite some time. It's ostensibly for reading medical texts, which it is actually quite well suited for and it will ultimately save me money as the hardbound textbooks can run upwards of $400 and the digital versions are, shall we say... less. Anyway, I've found that it's just as fun and useful as everyone claims. My favorite little "app" I've found, so far, is one called aweditorium.

It lays out a grid of pictures, each linking to an artist and song. You select one and it zooms in and you can see the lyrics while listening or watch little tidbits of info pop up. I'm not sure who selects the music, or whether it's user driven somehow, but so far the selections have been excellent. Here is a song it showed me from an artist I missed this year.

Lissie - Everywhere I Go by Alexandre Diogo


Lissie is the stage name of Elisabeth Maurus, from Rock Island, IL. Her music seems to range from folk to country to indie and recalls Neko Case in certain moments. Her album is hit-or-miss for me, some straying too far into pop territory for my tastes. Of particular note is a stripped-down cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.

Bad Romance (Lady GaGa Cover)- Lissie by brycool

Obviously it's been done to death by others, but this one has a certain charm that keeps it from becoming too comedic.

You can buy her full album, Catching A Tiger, (minus the cover) here.

No comments: