Thursday, February 23, 2012

Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself



  Mr. Bird, stop making me wait such a long time between major releases. Don't get me wrong, your instrumental and experimental outings maintain your indie cred like nothing else could, but I'm an impatient, impatient man and who knows how many years I have left? I don't want to spend it listening to your looped drones and incessant plucking and noodling when I could be enjoying the incisive lyrics that you do so well. I think I heard a radio-caller once who felt that your lyrics were a tad... pretentious, but, what can I say? You speak to my inner nerd. Ok, ok! Outer nerd.
  Someday let's sit down and drink the latest hipster drink (bathtub gin. I'm calling it now) and talk about vests and big words. There'll be snacks.

  So, the album. It was kind of hard to pick just two standouts here. On first listen, I don't think it's quite as grabby as his last major release, Noble Beast, but it's still very listenable. Great opening tracks are rare things these days, but track #1 is probably my favorite, so far. It starts slow, but finishes strong with a great danceable groove. Can't wait to hear it live.

Desperation Breeds... - Andrew Bird

The next one also has a solid beat plus lots of clever, clever lyrics. Guest vocals by an unknown female vocalist.

Near Death Experience Experience - Andrew Bird

Also check out Lusitania which brings back the whistling and Hole in the Ocean Floor which sounds like Andrew Bird doing Graceland-era Paul Simon.


Available March 6th on Mom & Pop Records. Buy it here

For fans of: The Shins, M. Ward

No comments: