Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Delta Spirit - Delta Spirit



I said back at the end of 2010 Delta Spirit was not getting the recognition that they deserve. Since then, their song Devil Knows You're Dead was used in the season finale of Friday Night Lights, they have appeared on several soundtracks and they played Coachella in 2011. With their new self-titled album and on the strength of a great single I'm anticipating that they will finally land more firmly in the spotlight where they belong. 

Delta Spirit's lead singer, Matthew Vasquez, also lent his voice and talents to one of my favorite albums from 2011 with Middle Brother. I highly recommend you check out their self-titled album if you haven't already. 

The first single from their new album is called California and is fantastic and heartbreaking. Here are the lyrics, so you can see what I mean. Ending a relationship with someone you're still in love with can tear your heart out. 

I want you to move to California for yourself
I want you to find what ever your heart needs 
I want you to move to California for yourself but not for me


I want you to go out there and find somebody else 
I want him to treat you like I know he should 
I want you to find somebody new for yourself if not for me


All of the feelings that I know you never felt
And all of the simple words you never said
I want you to keep them like a secret to yourself, but not for me


I want you to wander silent passed my outstretched arms
I want to hide yourself from all I seek
And though my heart will fight until it's dying breath, you're not for me


I want you to move to California for yourself
I want you to find whatever your heart needs
I want you to move to California for yourself
But not for me.


Delta Spirit has often been lumped into categories like "twangy folk" and "rootsy Americana", which always perplexed me since they seem like straight rock-and-roll to me. Most of the album supports that assumption, with a few exceptions. Home is a melancholy jaunt that I have yet to fully understood. Delta Spirit draws a lot of parallels with Deer Tick in my mind, not just because their lead singers both collaborated on Middle Brother. They both play straight out Rock but have the ability to slow it down and say something profound. Home calls to mind a song from their 2011 album called Chevy Express and comes at the same position in the album at track 6. 




Out March 13th on Concord Music Group. Buy it here

For Fans of: Deer Tick, Middle Brothers, Dawes, Dr. Dog

No comments: