Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Ting Tings - Sounds From Nowheresville


  The Ting Tings are a band from the UK made up of Robert Ting and Stacy somebody. Or maybe it's Jane something. At least that's what everyone is always calling her. Also I made up the dude's name. That's how little I normally care about the names of the people in bands (See previous post). My brain is packed with too much minutiae that is critical to my job that I'm not going to devote any of my diminishing hippocampal space to something that no one cares about.

Ahem. Anyway, you know The Ting^2 from their massively popular single, That's Not My Name, released in 2008 and subsequently released hundreds of times every year since on any number of soundtracks and party-rock albums. Shockingly, I still don't know her name.

Their most recent release is entitled Sounds From Nowheresville and there will undoubtedly be a few ear-wormy singles on here to haunt your summer. I'm just big enough of a snob to put El Tingue-tinguesos in my "guilty pleasure" category but, damn, if they don't write some catchy, head-bobbing tunes. Exhibit one:

The Ting Tings - Hit Me Down Sonny

See what I'm talking about? Marching-band drumbeats and church bells! Calling out Speedy Gonzalez! Can't you just hear that over the opening credits while Jason Sudeikis and Jason Segel do a little introductory site-gag exposition of their cheeky characters? Wait, that's two tall goofy looking guys in the same movie. Probably won't happen. Substitute a shorter or goofier looking guy in for one of them. Charlie Day or Tyler Labine.

The first single is another pretty catchy number, if a little Lily Allen-esque.

The Ting Tings - Soul Killing

It's a solid album and I have no doubt I'll be hearing a lot of it in the coming warmer months.


Out February 27th in the UK and March 13th in the US on Columbia records. Buy it here

For fans of: Lily Allen, Sleigh Bells, Goldfrapp

No comments: